STARMOUNT LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY
PRIVACY NOTICE AND NOTICE OF INSURANCE INFORMATION
This Notice Describes How Medical and Financial Information About You May Be Used
and Disclosed. Please Review This Notice Carefully.
Starmount Life Insurance Company and its insurance affiliates are committed to protecting
your privacy and the confidentiality of information we collect from you or about
you in compliance with Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) law.
We are required by law to maintain the privacy of your protected health and financial
information. This notice outlines our duties and practices in this regard.
How We Collect Information: We get most information from you or anyone
you have authorized to provide the information. Information is obtained from your
application for insurance, from other related forms or through a verification phone
call with you. If additional information is needed, we may obtain it from your independent
sales agent, physicians, hospitals, or other medical personnel, your employer, other
transactions with our company or its affiliates, other insurers, the Medical Information
Bureau or consumer reporting agencies.
Information collected may relate to your personal characteristics, employment, health,
avocations, finances, as well as transactions with us or our affiliates. The information
we collect might include name, address, Social Security number, telephone number,
date of birth, medical and family history and dependent information. It may also
include type and plan of insurance, other insurance you own, claim data, the amount
of insurance premiums, or any other information.
How We Protect Information: Starmount Life Insurance Company and its
affiliates maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect the
information we have obtained about you and to assist us in preventing unauthorized
access to that information.
Electronic records are protected by multiple computer software products that use
security features such as passwords, encryption, user identification numbers, and
personal identification numbers to guard against unauthorized access. Our internal
systems contain electronic firewalls and other security measures designed to prevent
unauthorized access to our electronic records. We also employ surveillance software
to determine if any abnormal activity occurs. Electronic points of entry, as well
as databases, servers, e-mail and workstations are generally protected by virus
confidentiality of all information we collect.
How We Use and Disclose Information: We may disclose any information
we collect when we believe it is necessary for us to conduct or service our business
or where disclosure is permitted or required by law. For example, information may
be disclosed while you are insured, or after your insurance terminates, to:
- Anyone to whom you have authorized us to disclose the information;
- Your independent sales agent;
- Claims adjusters to process your claims;
- Underwriters to accept or reject your request for insurance;
- Investigators and attorneys;
- Consultants, Third-party administrators, PPO Networks, and Health care clearinghouses;
Data processing firms and billing firms;
- Our affiliated companies, business associates, other insurance companies and reinsurers;
- Persons or organizations that conduct audits and scientific research, including
actuarial or underwriting studies;
- Persons/entities performing general administrative and claim processing activities
for us; and
- Insurance regulators, courts or government agencies or others as may be permitted
or required by law.
Information may also be shared with our affiliates so that they may offer you other
products and services. We may also provide information to others outside Starmount
Life Insurance Company with whom we have a joint marketing agreement. For example,
we may have a joint marketing agreement with another insurer to enable us to offer
you that company’s insurance products. Any person or entity with whom we share information
must maintain the same high standards of privacy and confidentiality that we require
of our own employees and affiliates.
We do not make disclosures of information to any other companies that may want to
sell their products or services to you. We will not sell any information to a catalog
company. We do not disclose information subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Other disclosures will be made only with your written authorization, which you may
revoke at any time.
Right to Access and Correct Information: You have a right to inspect
and copy your protected health information. You have a right to ask for an accounting
of any disclosures of information. We may impose a reasonable fee for this service
where permitted. You may ask us to correct or change our records regarding your
information. If we agree, we will make the correction/change. If we do not agree,
you may submit a short statement of dispute, which we will include in any future
disclosure of information. You can contact us by phone at 225-926-2888 or by mail to
Compliance Officer, Starmount Life Insurance Company, P. O. Box 98100, Baton Rouge,
LA 70898-9100, or e-mail Compliance Officer@StarmountLife.com.
STAR-GLB Revised 12/2013
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
Starmount Life Insurance Company
AlwaysCare Benefits, Inc. (a Starmount Life Insurance company)
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED,
AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Starmount Life Insurance Company, Inc. and AlwaysCare Benefits, Inc. (collectively "Starmount")
are required by law to maintain the privacy of your health information and to provide you
with notice of their legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your health
information and to notify you following a breach of unsecured protected health information.
How Starmount May Use or Disclose Your Health Information
- Payment Functions. Starmount may use or disclose health information
about you to determine eligibility for plan benefits, obtain premiums, facilitate
payment for the treatment and services you receive from health care providers, determine
plan responsibility for benefits, and to coordinate benefits.
- Health Care Operations. Starmount may use and disclose health information
about you to carry out necessary insurance-related activities, including, but not
limited to, underwriting, premium rating and other activities relating to plan coverage;
conducting quality assessment and improvement activities; submitting claims for
stop-loss coverage; conducting or arranging for medical review, legal services,
audit services, and fraud and abuse detection programs.
- Required by Law. As required by law, Starmount may use and disclose
your health information. Starmount may disclose medical information pursuant to
a court order in judicial or administrative proceedings; to report information related
to victims of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence; or to assist law enforcement
officials in their law enforcement duties.
- Public Health. As required by law, Starmount may disclose your health
information to public health authorities to prevent or control disease, injury or
disability, or for other health oversight activities.
- Coroners, Medical Examiners and Funeral Directors. Starmount may disclose
your health information to coroners, medical examiners and funeral directors. For
example, this may be necessary to identify a deceased person.
- Organ and Tissue Donation. Your health information may be used or disclosed
for cadaveric organ, eye or tissue donation purposes.
- Health and Safety. Starmount may disclose your health information to
appropriate persons in order to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat
to the health or safety of a particular person or the general public.
- Government Functions. Starmount may disclose your health information
for military, national security, prisoner and government benefits purposes.
- Worker’s Compensation. Starmount may disclose your health information
as necessary to comply with worker’s compensation or similar laws.
- Disclosures to Plan Sponsors. Starmount may disclose your health information
to the sponsor of your group health plan for purposes of administering benefits
under the plan.
When Starmount May Not Use or Disclose Your Health Information
Except as described in this Notice of Privacy Practices, Starmount will not use
or disclose your health information without written authorization from you. If you
do authorize Starmount to use or disclose your health information for another purpose,
you may revoke your authorization in writing at any time. Statement of Your Health
- Right to Request Restrictions. You have the right to request restrictions
on certain uses and disclosures of your health information. Starmount is not required
to agree to the restrictions that you request.
- Right to Request Confidential Communications. You have the right to
receive your health information through alternative means or at an alternative location.
Starmount is not required to agree to your request.
- Right to Inspect and Copy. You have the right to inspect and copy your
health information. If you request a copy of the information, Starmount may charge
you a reasonable fee to cover the copy expense.
- Right to Request a Correction. You have a right to request that Starmount
amend your health information. Starmount is not required to change your health information.
- Right to Accounting of Disclosures. You have the right to receive an
accounting of disclosures of your health information. Starmount will provide one
list per 12 month period free of charge; Starmount may charge you for additional
lists requested within the same 12 month period.
- Right to Paper Copy. You have a right to receive a paper copy of this
Notice of Privacy Practices at any time.
- Right to Revoke Permission. You have the right to revoke your authorization
to use or disclose your health information at any time, except to the extent that
action has already been taken.
Starmount’s Obligations Under This Notice
Starmount is required by law to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information.
- Provide you with a notice of its legal duties and privacy practices with respect
to your health information and notify affected individuals following a breach of
protected health information.
- Abide by the terms of this Notice.
- Notify you if Starmount is unable to agree to a requested restriction on how your
information is used or disclosed.
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may have to communicate health information by
alternative means or at alternative locations.
- Obtain your written authorization to use or disclose your health information for
reasons other than those listed above and permitted by law.
- Starmount reserves the right to amend this Notice of Privacy Practices at any time
in the future and to make the new Notice provisions effective for all health information
that Starmount maintains. Revised Notices will be distributed to you by mail.
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint
Privacy Officer Starmount Life Insurance Company P. O. Box 98100 Baton Rouge, LA
You may also file a complaint with the Secretary of the Department of Health and
Human Services. Starmount will not retaliate against you in any way for filing a
Effective Date of This Notice: September 23, 2013.